Recipients will be selected based on the following criteria:
For applicants pursuing a diploma or degree to become a nurse, registered nurse or advanced practice nurse:
Current recipients requesting a scholarship renewal will receive preference.
If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of scholarships to be awarded, priority will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate financial need, as shown on a current SAR, and will pursue their education on a full-time basis and who already have a diploma in nursing, or associates degree in nursing and are pursuing a higher degree; and
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
First time applicants chosen as semi-finalist will move to phase 2-face to face interview with the scholarship committee.
Semi-Finalists will be contacted via email to be interviewed by a minimum of two members of the scholarship selection committee, before choosing the scholarship finalists.
To be eligible for any of the scholarships, applicants must:
- be of Latino or Hispanic origin (as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau);
- be able to speak and read English and Spanish;
- be citizens of the United States of America (US Citizen, Green Card, DACA);
- demonstrate at school, at the workplace, and within the community the characteristics of leadership, integrity and passion for the nursing field;
- demonstrate strong academic performance (minimum 3.0 grade point average/4.0 scale or equivalent);
- demonstrate financial need based on applicant’s Student Aid Report;
- be current high school seniors attending high school in the United States (students living on U.S. Armed Forces base and homeschooled students are also eligible) and planning on attending a nursing program in the State of Texas; or
- plan to enroll and have been accepted in a course of study toward an associate of science in nursing degree at an accredited community college; or
- plan to enroll in a bachelor’s degree of nursing at an accredited four-year college or university in the state of Texas for the entire upcoming academic year.
In addition, semifinalists must be providing a letter of recommendation by an eligible community leader, such as a high school principal, another school professor, elected official or executive or director of a nonprofit organization;
Semifinalist must provide documentation to certify academic performance.
Finalists will be interviewed via Skype or telephone by a minimum of two members of the scholarship selection committee.
Applicants who have questions about the application process may contact the program’s administrator, at 817-310-1100 and ask for the Cuidado Casero Foundation Scholarship Program or email email@example.com. Applicants should anticipate a response to inquiries within one business day.
The Cuidado Casero Foundation Scholarship is given to full time students of Hispanic heritage enrolled in a Texas state school nursing program. The scholarship is awarded to financially needy students who display outstanding academic achievement, exemplary character, and active community service. Scholarship recipients will be selected based on the information provided in this form. These scholarships reflect our continuing commitment to the education of nurses and their promise to quality healthcare for all of us.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
To be considered for the scholarship, an applicant must be both considered in “Good Standing” within the Nursing Program and/or school and demonstrate a financial need to assist in the pursuance of their Nursing education.
To apply for the scholarship, an applicant must submit the following:
- Scholarship application and all required documentation postmarked by the deadline;
- Copy of their enrollment or acceptance letter to an approved nursing program;
- Copy of their notarized birth certificate, US passport, documentation you are a naturalized citizen, documentation of your lawful permanent resident of the US or your DACA status documentation;
- Copy of their latest official transcript which indicates your cumulative grade point average. Transcripts must be received directly from the school or have been issued to the applicant in a sealed envelope, which shall remain sealed until its arrival at Cuidado Casero’s Scholarship Department, they must include official seal and date they were issued and the registrars signature. Transcripts that do not conform to these requirements will not be accepted; *
- Two (2) letters of recommendation; one of the letters must be from an academic instructor outlining the applicant’s future professional contribution to the nursing profession and potential to act as a role model for other aspiring nurse students. Note: The Letters of Recommendation must be the original copy in a sealed envelope with individuals signature across the sealed flap (no exceptions).
- Word-processed essay (500 words maximum)
- Current resume, which includes earned certificates, awards, associations and list of volunteer/civic work
- Current Student Aid Report (SAR) from your FAFSA that indicates their Estimated Financial Contribution. A current SAR is required even if you are not eligible for or have not applied for other financial assistance.
*Submit latest official transcript which indicates your cumulative grade point average. Transcripts must be received directly from the school or have been issued to the applicant in a sealed envelope, which shall remain sealed until its arrival at Cuidado Casero’s Scholarship Department, they must include official seal and date they were issued and the registrars signature. Transcripts that do not conform to these requirements will not be accepted;